Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The History of Love

Thanks be to my daughter for sharing The History of Love - quite an amazing little read. Thus far - a bit over halfway - I am struck by one particular message: love has made me the happiest that I have ever been; love has made me the saddest that I have ever been. When you are fully in love - whether just falling into or at the maintenance level - the emotions are the truest that you will ever know. They will make-up both the most painful and the most joyous that you will experience. When you love someone completely that someone is capable of giving you the depth of life that is impossible without them. I remember trying once to explain to my dear husband that he is not responsible for my happiness - I control that - but I now understand his perspective: what he does or does not do/feel/comprehend affects my happiness - my whole life, really - in the way that only love can. Love captures you, and absolute love captures you absolutely.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

and sometimes that love can seem almost too much to bear on a daily basis. How can you go through your daily routine when your heart is just bursting, either with happiness or pain? How does anyone live their lives when they are in love?

Mrs. said...

thankfully, eventually, the love becomes a part of your make-up; it becomes so much of who you are that it doesn't seem quite so foreign, but it remains wonderful - joyous and painful, both - but wonderful, nonetheless.